CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 9, 2009

Malolelei 11.09.2009 (Email)

Mi Familia,


Hola! How are you all doing? Mom, I hope that your teeth are doing better. The people here basically just have their teeth pulled out when they have problems. Dad, I´m sure you did great speaking in the institute. But yes, lots of speaking! Orrin, you´ll be getting your gallbladder out? Good luck! Shari, that´s great that you´ll be teaching the 16 and 17 year olds. You´ll be great. And Jordan and Lisa, I hope that you enjoyed Denver. I´m sure you did, and I hope you´re back safe. And Jordan, you certainly made me giggle - Melky Cabrera. I had Hna. Porter read your email as well, and she got a good laugh out of it as well.

Well, things are going really well with Hna. Makelani. So I doin´t really remember what I wrote last week. She´s from Tonga, a Polynesian island. She actually speaks Tongan, english, and now spanish - though I honestly haven´t heard much english from her. ¨Malolelei¨is hello in Tongan. Pretty fun huh? She´s 22. She has been in the mission for a year and one month, and is excited but nervous to train. She was with Hna. Schafer before coming her with me. She is the oldest in her family. Her dad actually lives in Australia with his family, and her mom is actually working in the U.S. for now. Before the mission, Hna. Makelani was studying in New Zealand. Pretty interesting huh? But she´s learning the area really well, and quickly. And yes,we do keep an area book. We don´t have one single map that has all our area, and we need to go pick up another map for her. The one Hna. Porter and I found is pretty much destroyed from lots of use, rain and snow. But I´m sure she´ll be just fine.

We´re working on putting baptismal dates so she and her new companion will have baptisms this first transfer. I remember when I started in Plottier, and I felt a little guilty that I was harvesting the hard work of other missionaries. So I would love it if her new companion could get here and have a bunch of baptisms right off the bat. There´s not a better way to start the mission than to have baptisms.

Lets see, a couple miracles of the week...We were walking one day in a neighborhood, that we haven´t worked a lot in. A lady told us she´s catholic, didn´t have a lot of interest in listening, but told us her neighbor loves talking to people from our church, told us her name and a little about her, and sent us to her house. So we went, (knowing her name), and they let us in. We then taught her (Norma), and two of her daughters ¨The Restoration¨and it went really well. She informed us that she listens to all the churches, but usually doesn´t let them in her house. Just outside. But she let us in because we knew her name, and her neighbor sent us over. A little miracle. I think they have great potential.

There is a lady named Patricia, that went to our church for like a year a while back. She and her husband spent a lot of time with other sister missionaries like 3 years ago. Anyway,they stopped going because they raised the bus prices and they couldn´t afford it. But a member told us about them,and we went with the member to their house. The lesson went well. We talked about the family, their goals for their little family, and assured them that the Gospel is the best thing that could happen to their family. We´ll pass by again soon. Oh, another miracle of that day is that the dad was there. He´s never there, but hadn´t gone to work because he works in construcion and it was bad weather that day.

Also, there´s a member named Viviana that lives in our area. She´s the only member in her family. So yesterday we stopped by, and got to talking with her mom. I have no idea how many missionaries have passed by their house in the past. Viviana even did the ¨mini-mission¨two times. But yesterday we talked to her about the Book of Mormon, and admitted that she has never read it. We assured her that she needs to read it, and she said that she´ll read it with us if we pass by. She said she won´t promise to go to church, or be baptized, but she will read the Book of Mormon with us. I´m okay with that for now. If she´s willing to read the Book of Mormon, the Spirit will do the rest.

Oh, Pres. Peterson called Hna. Makelani and said that her new companion should get here between November 19th and December 1st. So we´ll just have to wait and see. The ward here is so great. I love the people here. I think in every area I love the people more and more. I´m grateful for prayer, and the guidance that we can receive through prayer. I love the scriptures, I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Today I read Deut. 31:6 and thoroughly enjoyed it. I forgot about that scripture. Choose the right, and I´ll write again next week. I love you!

Love Always,
Hermana Jana Banana Pincock

0 comments: